Sunday, February 10, 2008

What's your name?

You probably don't think your name as anything special. Heck, you've been using it for as long as you can remember, so why should you?

I have an english name, but I sort of picked that one. You might have an english name that your parents gave you. I also have a chinese name; one that I don't use much anymore. I've never thought much about it, I've always kind of understand what it meant, to me, that is.

For example, my name deals with, like, the four "principles" and eight "virtues" of chinese culture; stuff like honor, piety, kindness, loyalty, love. Stuff like that. I've never read that much into it. I just know how to write it on the piece of paper.

but like most things in life, they mean more when they're put into context.

there once was a girl, and there was a boy. They lived different lives and grew up in different families. Eventually, they grew up and met each other under the most inconspicuous setting. They would later on decide to commit to finding out about each other for the rest of their lives, for better or worse, in sickness or in health.

Now they're a couple, a pair in love, enjoying their new profound status as being married, no longer just young and beautiful, but also committed and dedicated; dedicated to each other and whatever that comes.

She becomes pregnant with a baby. They are scared shitless, anxious, happy, nervous, excited, afraid, more scared, scared that they don't know how to be parents, scared that they might mess it up, scared that they are not ready yet to bring a life into this world; there were no manuals included.

Hopeful. They were also hopeful. In fact, they joke about how their child might change the world, or how he might become the president, or how she might be the first female president, or how he will be a music genius and provide beautiful, soothing music for generations to come; music so smooth that thorns fall off the roses, music so beautiful that people weep.

But really, what they really hope is that he will turn out to be a good person; a person of good virtues, a good man.

"Please, God, let him grow up to be a good man"

So they pick a name, and they put all their hopes and dreams into this name, wishing, hoping that this name will somehow set their baby boy on the right path. In some ways, it is their first act claiming responsibility for bringing this child into this world; claiming ownership. You name things that belong to you. You name things what they are; You name things what you hope they will be.

No comments: