Sunday, April 20, 2008

I am

I was part of something amazing when I was in Taiwan. But it really didn't occur to me until later how amazing it was.

We were up in the mountains at a church retreat. Way, way up in the boonies; winding roads and clear streams of river. People that have lived there since who knows when. The bus ride up there alone was one of the MOST fun experiences I've had while I was in taiwan.

The whole lot of us were playing in the river; some of us sun bathing, others swimming, still others jumping off the rocks into the deep end of the river. We all tried to stay close together, as none of us really knew the river, and it was rapid and strong at certain points, places that we didn't know.

One of the younger boys that I grew up with in church was jumping off the rocks into the river. As he hit the water, he came up and started yelling, "HELP! HELP!"

there was a moment of silence. I think some of us were waiting for him to stop joking around and crack out a smile, maybe most of us. No one wanted this to be an authentic cry for help. Most of us were rationalizing as to what to do next. Most of us hesitated.

Before any of us fully understood what had happened, another person had jumped into the cold river. Not everyone had caught who it was that jumped in, but for those of us who had, we knew it was his older brother.

Their mother was standing right by the shore. Her heart sank.

He swam to his brother, and slowly, began to swim him back to shore. And just as abruptly as it started, it ended swiftly.

Except for the mother. Maybe it lasted an eternity for her.

We came to find out later on that the boy had been studying a lot for exams, and hadn't really had time to exercise or take care of himself, and apparently had a cramp in the cold water, and maybe had problem breathing.

When it first happened, I wondered if I wasn't as brave as I thought I was, or maybe I was really a coward. I wondered if I had known all the info, would I have acted differently?

But as time went on, I focused more and more on the things that did happen, and why they happened. I put myself in that position, and I realized that it probably wouldn't have happened any other way, because when it comes to recognizing someone's cry for help, there is no better person than a brother. There's not much rationalization that goes into risking your life to save your brother, it is instinctual, and thus the fastest. While the rest of us are still on "what's going on?", he has already assessed the situation, made the call, and jumped in.

And maybe it wasn't as methodical as I described it here, but the more I think about it, the more certain I am that it wouldn't have happened any other way, because the thought of losing that part of you is unbearable.

So you jump.

You are at your BEST when you have someone to protect.

Are you lucky enough to have someone that you love?

No comments: